Thursday, May 15, 2014
Tuesday, May 13, 2014
In May 2014, the International School Grounds Alliance is calling on schools around the globe to take their pupils outside to celebrate their grounds. It's as simple as that. We believe school grounds are very important to children and shape their experience of the world around them. If you agree with us, we hope you will take some time during this month-an hour, a day, even a week or several different times during the month-to go outside into your grounds with your students.
Learn more and how your schools can participatel Grounds Month - May 2014
STEM² Summit: Celebrate STEM Innovation!
Celebrate STEM Innovation! The first STEM summit for Elementary Education!
Come be inspired-learn how STEM is moving humanity forward. Hear about cutting edge innovations developed - all right here in Massachusetts! Don't miss this opportunity to hear major innovators speak about their personal path to STEM. You might be surprised to hear their passion for STEM began early on in elementary school and how their resulting contributions changed society. In addition to learning about Massachusetts' culture of STEM innovation, we'll be holding breakout sessions focused on elementary STEM resources, STEM grant identification, and how to write a successful STEM grant. Teachers, administrators, STEM Industry, and policymakers are all invited to join this celebration. Participation is FREE and paid for the by the US Department of Education's Race to the Top Fund.
Celebrate STEM Innovation! The first STEM summit bringing together innovators and educators. .Come be inspired-learn how STEM is moving humanity forward. Hear about cutting edge innovations developed - all right here in Massachusetts! Don't miss this opportunity to hear major innovators speak about their personal path to STEM. You might be surprised
Wednesday June 4, 2014 from 9:00 AM to 2:30 PM EDT
255 Grapevine Road
Wenham, MA 01984
Energy and Environmental Affairs (EEA) Secretary Rick Sullivan honored 27 energy and environmental education programs at the 20th Annual Secretary's Awards for Excellence in Energy and Environmental Education held on May 6, 2014!
Special thank you to Robin Organ for being the emcee and Meg Colclough for coordinating everything!
The energy at the State House today was really amazing. Feel free to pass on the link to your networks in celebration of the tremendous energy & environmental education happening in MA!
Will your students be graduating from National Green Schools Society? We've extended the deadline.
We would like your environmentally engaged 2014 GRADUATES to apply for special recognition from National Green Schools Society this year. If graduates have performed 100 hours of environment service they are eligible to apply for an honor stole and certificate from NGSS. Complete an application, tracking form, and letter of intent (a 1-2 page essay outlining accomplishments). Send in your $35 fee by May 16th to Green Schools, PO Box 323, Mansfield, MA 02048. Send completed documents to Maureen Aylward, Director of Students and Schools, maureen.aylward@
National Green Schools Society honors and develops bright, civic-minded, environmentally literate citizens in your schools and communities. Students in grades 5-8 and 9-12 develop their passion for preserving the environment, while improving schools and communities through environmental service, leadership, and activism.
Created and developed by the multi-award winning non-profit organization, Green Schools, Inc., National Green School Society provides a structure for student engagement in environmental projects as well as recognition for the work they do in your schools and communities.
Congratulations Green Difference Awards Winners & Green Schools Student Ambassadors of 2014!
Please join us for a special ceremony at The MA State House honoring you and others who have made The Green Difference this past year.
See note below. Must RSVP in order to attend as this is a closed event.
Please RSVP to GDA2014 @
with the Names and Number of Attendees from your group by May 14th.
IF YOU ARE NOT THE ACTUAL AWARD RECIPIENT, PLEASE HELP GREEN SCHOOLS BY CONTACTING THE AWARD RECIPIENTS YOU NOMINATED. GREEN SCHOOLS WILL DO THE SAME.
Where: MA State House, Grand Staircase
When: May 28th, 11:00-1:00
2014 Green Difference Award Winners are:
1. Outstanding Commitment to Environmental Education
**Gina McCarthy, U.S. EPA
- Phyllis Therman, Wellesley Green Schools, MA
- Janice McPhillips, Hingham High School, MA
2. Outstanding Commitment to Greenovation [GREEN + STEM + Innovation]
**Andrea Falken, U.S. ED
**Governor Deval Patrick, MA
- Foxborough Regional Charter School, Diploma, MA
- Manchester Essex Regional High School, Hydroponics, MA
- Plainville Public Schools, MA
3. Outstanding Green Educator/Program Director...Separate Educators from Programs?
**Stephen Ritz, Green Bronx Machine, NY
- John Griffith, Conservation Corp, CA
- Jim Johnson, Science Teacher, Children's Center for Treatment and Education, Beacon Light, PA
- Laurie Bianchi, Whitman Hanson High School, MA
- Sung Hwa Chang, Everett, MA
- Karen Wood, OW Homes Elementary School, MA
- Sandra Willmore, New Albany-Plain Local Schools, OH
- Andrew Cassilly, Harford Public School, MD
4. Outstanding Green Superintendent
- Dr. Mark Logan-Foxborough Regional Charter School, MA
5. Outstanding Green Principal
- Elaine Metropolis-Captain Samuel Brown Elementary School, MA
6. Outstanding School-led Project in Climate Resiliency
- Young Women In Climate, Manchester Essex Regional High School, MA
7. Outstanding School-led Project in Energy
- Broward County Public Schools, FL
8. Outstanding School-led Project in Conservation
- Maddie, Manchester Essex Regional High School, MA
- Lincoln Sudbury Green Team, MA
- Munford Schools-Teach Up, AL
9. Outstanding School-based Outdoor Classroom Design + Implementation
- Mullen Hall, Falmouth, MA
10. Outstanding Green Student [Elementary/Middle/High]
- Sarah & Isabella-Green Schools Executive Team, Manchester Essex Regional High School, MA
- Clara, Lincoln Sudbury, MA
- Erica Mazzerrelli, Project Green Ball, MA
- Carter & Olivia, OMG Team, GA
- Valeriy Golina, Foxborough Regional Charter School, MA
- Garden Project...Tri County Regional School District, MA
- Garden Club, Captain Samuel Brown Elementary School, MA
**Recognition Certificates: Environmental Eagles of Captain Samuel Brown Elementary School, MA
The 2014 Green Difference Awards are Sponsored by:
Tuesday, April 29, 2014